We all know how annoying notifications can be, interrupting a phone call or your music to tell you about some completely pointless weather update.
Even worse is when these notifications come through your ears.
Some people will keep their headphones in their ears at all times, either when they are working in the office or are off on their lunch breaks.
This is because a lot of people have to stay on the phone for those important calls. But you won’t want notifications along with this.
So how can you turn off these AirPod notifications? Will it impact any other functioning on your phone or music-playing device?
Well, keep reading this article and we’ll give you all the knowledge you need to obtain complete mastery of your AirPods.
What Notifications Get Played Through Your AirPods?
There are a few things that your AirPods will automatically notify you of when you plug them in.
One of the main notifications is that Siri will automatically start reading your texts. As soon as you get a text through on your phone, Siri will start reading them to you using voice recognition software.
Siri will also read more general information too, such as news and weather updates.
These will intercut through whatever you are doing, whether it is listening to music or taking a phone call, unless you turn these notifications off.
How To Disable Siri Reading Texts Through Your AirPods
There is a very simple method of getting Siri to stop reading your texts when you are first using your AirPods. Follow these simple steps:
- Open the settings app on your phone.
- Click on the ‘notifications’ tab. This will usually be set to ‘on’.
- Now you’ll need to scroll down to the ‘messages’ title in your message settings.
- Now you just have to switch off the toggle that states ‘announce notifications’.
It’s that simple! Once you have done this, you should not receive any notifications either from your phone or through your AirPods.
How To Disable Siri Reading Notifications Through Your AirPods
Siri won’t just take it upon herself to read just your text messages, but will also tell you of other notifications that appear through your Google app or on your phone in general.
Battery levels, new announcements, weather updates, and celebrity gossip columns are all things that could get announced by Siri without you asking her.
However, there is a very quick method of keeping her quiet. All you need to do is follow these steps:
- Open the settings tab on your phone.
- Click on the notifications tab.
- Click on the Siri tab and go to the ‘announce notifications’ setting.
- Switch the toggle on the ‘Siri announces notifications for when connected to headphones’ button.
- You can also turn off the notifications for each individual app e.g. Google news, Google Play, BBC News etc.
Again, this will be all that you need to do to stop Siri from giving you notifications through your headphones.
How To Turn Off Notifications For A Single App
If you do want notifications from a single app, then you’ll need to make sure that the toggle for this app is switched to ‘on’. This will be indicated by a green color.
Here is a step-by-step guide for switching on individual notifications for certain apps:
- Go to the settings section on your phone.
- Tap the ‘notifications’ tab and find ‘announce notifications’.
- Here you can still turn off or on the ‘announce notifications’ button.
- You can also customize the notification tab if you want notifications to play continuously through your headphones.
What Happens If Your Announce Notifications Are Not Working With Your AirPods?
There are some AirPods that are not compatible with your phone’s ‘announce notifications’ settings. Here is a list of some of the ones that you might be experiencing some difficulty with:
- AirPods Max
- AirPods (2nd generation)
- AirPods Pro
- AirPods 3
- Powerbeats Pro
- Beats Solo Pro
If you’re trying to connect these, then you might be experiencing some difficulty when it comes to getting your notifications to work.
Make Sure Your AirPods Are Connected
You’ll need to make sure that your AirPods are connected if you want them to work with your notifications.
Once your AirPods become disconnected or if you are experiencing frequent connection issues, then we would definitely recommend that you check your connection settings.
Go to the settings tab on your phone and make sure that under your Bluetooth device your AirPods are set to the ‘connected’ setting.
Make Sure All Your App Notifications Are Set To ‘On’
Another reason why you might not be getting some notifications is that you have not turned on all of the settings on your app.
Go down the list of applications on your phone and make sure all of them are clicked to ‘on’.
You’ll also need to make sure all of the ‘announce notification’ buttons are on. This will help you to get all the notifications that you need for whatever app you are looking for.
How Can You Change The Time Of Your Notifications?
Here is a quick method of setting certain timed notifications for your phone:
- Open the settings tab on your phone.
- Check the ‘announce notifications’ toggle and the ‘enable notifications with headphones toggle’.
- You should then switch to time-sensitive notifications.
This will mean you can choose the times of the day when you’ll have your notifications. This can be really handy if there are certain times of the day when you’ll be busy and won’t want to receive any notifications.
We hope that our article on how to turn off your notifications has helped you to manage this function on your phone (see also ‘How To Turn Off AirPods‘). This can often be a quick method of silencing your notifications during the work day.
We would also recommend that you get familiar with the time-sensitive notifications tab on your phone.
This will help you to better manage your notifications, as there’s nothing worse than messages coming through when you’re in the middle of a call!
- What Is Water Lock On Fitbit? - March 27, 2023
- How To Unpair Apple Watch From Broken Phone - March 24, 2023
- Can You Listen To Music On Apple Watch Without A Phone? - March 20, 2023